Saturday 30 March 2013

Design Hero's by Jane

In this lecture we were introduced to Stefan Sagmeister. This was a practitioner who I have not come across before, therefore I was more intrigued to find out more about him and his work. Sagmeister is a New-York based Graphic Designer and typographer who is well known for his own design firm. Through this lecture I gained an insight on how much of an experimental practitioner he is. The work he done in a scrapbook which showed elements of his life inspired me the most. The book was on things that inspired Stefan the most which included a variety of different things. The environment seemed to influence his work a lot aswell; as this was clearly shown all throughout his personal typographic work.

Most of Sagmeister's work portrays clean messages which most of the audience will be able to clearly relate to. This makes the audience more comfortable and engage in more deeply into his work; as they will have experienced the same situations before themselves. I love the way Sagmeister uses random quotes with different settings, they relate so well and evoke the audience to just stare and find out more about his work. I find it so calming and inspiring. I also think it's very different to what other practitioners do and makes his work stand out from the crowd. Each quote intrigues you, making you think deeply about what Sagmeister is trying to say, this automatically drags all of your audiences attention.





Across all of Sagmeister's designs you can see his consistent working style; which instantly tells you that it is his work. I really admire Sagmeister's unique way of portraying messages across in such different ways.  




After being to the lecture I was hugely inspired by such detail in Sagmeister's work that I started researching more about him and other similar practitioners who worked within a similar style. I came across a Canadian designer who goes by the name of Marian Bantjes, who is an illustrator, artist, designer and writer. I found that Sagmeister's work related well to her style of work as they both show similar characteristics. I can see from both of their work that they both express similar thoughts throughout their work, in similar ways. Below are some of Marian's work which I found relates well and shows great comparison to Sagmeister's work. 





Above you can see some of Marian's work. The way she has cut out such detailed shapes into quotations reminds me of Sagmeister's work. I adore the colours she uses within her work and how you can instantly tell it is her work, just like you can with Sagmeister's. I believe that you can see great emotion behind her work and this will engage the audience to find out more about her as a person, if not just her work. You can also see that most of her work has been consistent; as she uses the same kind of font, colour and images to make it recognizable. Another thing I love about her work is how she portrays a message through something so detailed, yet makes it so understandable and creates such emotion. By arousing emotion in her audience she instantly makes her work memorable in their eyes; as they have felt something in a certain way through her own personal work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment